Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Thomas Was Not Speaking Of Christ's Deity

When Thomas referred to Jesus as “My God” he was not speaking of his deity.

John 20:28 And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God.

Thomas, a Jew, used a mode of expression common to the Old Testament. Angels are called God in Gen. 16:7 cf. vs 13. Often accredited representatives of God are referred to as “God”. Elohim translated “God” in many passages, refers to the judges of Israel in Psa. 82:1,6. Elohim is also translated Judges in Ex. 22:28.

Notice earlier in this chapter, Jesus told Mary, “I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God and your God.” (vs. 17) Since Jesus was ascending to his God, then clearly he could not himself “Very God”. This passage clearly does not speak of the deity of Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment